The Official Rules for Half Moon Bay's Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off are as follows:
- Specimen must be grown, cared for, and entered by the weigh-off contestant.
- Each contestant is limited to having one entry (one pumpkin) weighed.
- Specimens that have won prizes in any other weigh-off competitions are not
- Specimens must be in healthy and undamaged condition, free of rot, holes and
cracks through the cavity, chemical residue, and soft spots.
- To be classified as pumpkin, specimen must be 75% yellow/orange in color; all
others will be classified as squash.
- The vine must be trimmed to one inch from the stem. No foreign material is
permitted in the weighing.
- All specimens will be weighed without the use of tarps or other carrying
- Pumpkins will be classified by division based on where the specimen is grown,
not the residence of the grower.
- In the event of a tie, prize money will be distributed equally among the tied
- Decisions of the judges are final in all cases.
- To receive the $30,000 world record prize, the grower must
break and hold the world record at the conclusion of the Half
Moon Bay weigh-off. If two or more growers happen to break the
world record at Half Moon Bay, the prize money would go to the
grower of the heaviest pumpkin.
DELIVERY OF ENTRIES:
Growers are responsible for bringing their entries to the weigh-off by 7:00 a.m. Weigh-off staff will move pumpkins by forklift. ALL entries will be handled with care. Get Directions
The weighing and inspection will be officiated by the GPC and San Mateo County Department of Agriculture Office of Weights and Measures. The official weighing will be conducted using a 2-ton capacity digital scale.
GROWER PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED:
This event is open to growers of giant competition-sized pumpkins only. Growers are required to pre-register online on through the Eventbrite registration page. This will help us manage and control the event and provide an accurate count of entries. Participating growers are allowed to have a limited number of family and assistants (max. 4 including grower). Your cooperation will help us run a well-organized event.
If you register and have tickets but are not a grower or are not entering a giant competition-sized pumpkin, you will not be admitted due to COVID restrictions. We’ll be live-streaming the weigh-off on Facebook!