World’s Biggest Top Prize of $9/Pound
Plus $30k Total Mega-Prize at Stake for a New World Record Pumpkin
Will the World Record be Squashed at the Super Bowl of Weigh-Offs this Year?
Bring it on beefy, burly behemoths! The excitement is building in Pumpkintown as the World’s Greatest Gourd Growers and their mind-blowing, Volkswagen-sized orange orbs hope to squash the world record on Monday, October 11 at the 48th Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off — the “Super Bowl of Weigh-Offs” — in the World Pumpkin Capital of Half Moon Bay, California.
Minnesota grower Travis Gienger's goliath 2,350-pound mega-gourd obliterated a formidable field of heavyweight contenders in winning the 2020 Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off.
Forklifts and harnesses are needed to place these monster gourds on the 5-ton capacity digital scale
Contenders await their turn with vines still attached
Weigh-off organizers and title sponsor Safeway are offering a world’s biggest top prize of $9 per pound. Also at stake are thousands of dollars in super hefty prize money doled out to the top 20 plus the big carrot: a $30,000 total mega-prize for a new world record pumpkin entered at Half Moon Bay — considered the “Super Bowl of Weigh-Offs”. The weighing of monster pumpkins will begin at 7am and end around 11am.
Travis Gienger's goliath 2,350-pound mega-gourd obliterated a formidable field of heavyweight contenders in winning the 2020 Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off. It was the heaviest pumpkin weighed in North America in 2020.
Beauty will share center stage with beefy brawn — a special $1,000 prize will be awarded to the “most beautiful pumpkin” as judged by our esteemed panel based on color, shape and size. Additional special prizes include: Biggest California Pumpkin — $1,000; Biggest Coastside Pumpkin — $1,000.
Using forklifts and special harnesses, the gargantuan gourds will be carefully placed on a 5-ton capacity, industrial-strength digital scale under the watchful eye of officials from the San Mateo County Agricultural Commissioner's Office of Weights, Sealers, and Measures. Half Moon Bay’s Weigh-Off will serve as an officially sanctioned Great Pumpkin Commonwealth (GPC) site.
I.D.E.S. Hall, 735 Main Street, Half Moon Bay
- The weigh-off is open to growers of giant competition-sized pumpkins only.
- Pumpkins must be grown, cared for, and entered by the weigh-off contestant.
- Each contestant is limited to having one entry (one pumpkin) weighed.
- Pumpkins that have won prizes in any other weigh-off competitions are not eligible.
- In the event of a tie, prize money will be distributed equally among the tied parties.
- Decisions made by the judges are final in all cases.
- Pumpkins must be in healthy and undamaged condition, free of rot, holes and cracks through the cavity, chemical residue, and soft spots.
- To be classified as pumpkin, specimen must be 75% yellow/orange in color; all others will be classified as squash.
- The vine must be trimmed to one inch from the stem. No foreign material is permitted in the weighing.
- All pumpkins will be weighed without the use of tarps or other carrying devices.
- Pumpkins will be classified by division based on where the specimen is grown, not the residence of the grower.
- To receive the $30,000 world record prize, the grower must break and hold the world record at the conclusion of the Half Moon Bay weigh-off. If two or more growers happen to break the world record at Half Moon Bay, the prize money would go to the grower of the heaviest pumpkin.
•The weigh-off will be conducted in accordance with GPC rules.
•The winning pumpkin will remain in Half Moon Bay through the HMB Pumpkin Minifest 49.5, Saturday, Oct. 16. UPDATE 09/08/21: The one-day HMB Pumpkin Minifest has been cancelled. Click for more information.
DELIVERY OF ENTRIES
Growers are responsible for bringing their entries to the Weigh-Off by 7:00 a.m. Weigh-Off staff will move pumpkins using brute strength manpower, special harnesses and forklifts. ALL entries will be handled with care.
The weighing and inspection will be officiated by the GPC and San Mateo County Department of Agriculture Office of Weights and Measures. The official weighing will be conducted using a 5-ton capacity digital scale.
GROWER PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
Growers are required to pre-register online on through our Eventbrite page. This will help us manage and control the event, and provide an accurate count of entries. Your cooperation will help us run a well-organized event.
GROWERS AWARDS LUNCHEON
There will be an awards luncheon to honor all contestants immediately following the weigh-off.
WORLD'S BIGGEST TOP PRIZE – $9/Pound
1st place prize money will be awarded in a “pay-by-the-pound” system with the champion receiving a hefty $9 per pound.
WORLD RECORD MEGA-PRIZE – $30k
The Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off is offering a special $30,000 mega-prize for the world record breaking pumpkin at the prestigious Half Moon Bay event. To receive the $30,000 mega-prize, the grower must break and hold the world record at the conclusion of the Half Moon Bay Weigh-Off. If two or more growers happen to break the world record at Half Moon Bay, the prize money would go to the grower of the heaviest pumpkin. The current world record pumpkin is 2,624 pounds set on October 9, 2016 by Mathias Willemijns of Belgium at the Giant Pumpkin European Championship in Ludwigsburg, Germany. Here's how the $30,000 breaks down: the winner receives $9 per pound plus a $10,000 bonus mega prize for a new world record plus the difference to get to $30,000.
1st Place — $9 per pound
2nd Place — $3,000
3rd Place — $2,500
4th Place — $2,000
5th–10th Place — $1,000 each
11th–20th Place — $200 each
World Record Pumpkin — $30,000 (total)
Biggest California Pumpkin — $1,000
Biggest Coastside Pumpkin (Montara to Pescadero) — $1,000
Joe Cotchett Family Most Beautiful Pumpkin — $1,000
Special GPC plaques and ribbons will also be awarded.
MEDIA AND SPONSORSHIP CONTACT
DOWNLOAD 300 DPI JPEGS: http://weighoff.miramarevents.com/photo-downloads.html
GOOGLE PHOTO ALBUM FROM 2020 WEIGH-OFF: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7p4Bv21uPSFe8UZDA
YOU TUBE: https://youtu.be/rY6Pptu40eA